Monday 20 April 2015

evaluation question 2

2. How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts? The combination between my music product and my ancillary texts is that I wanted to feel there was a mystery between them. The media text I made last year featured a rap trio on the front cove and double page spread working as a three. I wanted to use those pictures and make a narrative out of them saying that one of the band members has left and fallen out to pursuer a rap career and the two left have gone in a different direction with their music. This is shown as the music product I made features 2 members of that trio. This in the music industry would interest both audiences of the two different genres (rap and metal). I wanted to do this as this would exercise my  creative skills in photoshop making the ancillary texts, and exploring different tools to use this as if this was an actual issue happening and creating this ‘hyper reality’. I made this by taking out one of the artists figure out of the picture like he’d been cut out using scissors by a fan or by the band themselves, and also photo shopped black colours onto the other two artist this cheating a change in presentation, you are no longer seeing this hip cool rap trio you are seeing two characters black and threatening looking different from what was expected an one of the rap members has been faded out so this creating an alter ego which some artists have to use a different style of music like the Beatles with SGT pepper’s lonely hearts club band. The video on the other hand shows them in a different style to there product instead of an upbeat tempo there depressed and angry going in with the genre of the song. What I make sure though is that on the video you see actually artists performing that style of music as the promotion wouldn't make sense if it the band I was making weren't able to play that style of music. I felt that this would be easy though there was a difficulty with photoshop as I struggled to find a font that matched my digi-pack so I decided to use a similar font to what I decided to do for my music magazine. This would use a similar style and create like NWA straight outta Compton album. Where the font of the album art is similar to their style of magazine advert they brought out which is a similar style most media products take up the same font style same art pictures and same conventions as well. This would not be following my video as my video would be going against that. My video tries to tackle the convention and forms of media texts so this is a change from my music video and my ancillary texts. This is because I felt that ancillary texts should be used to advertise the product and not fight against other products including my own. As my video is a video and not like my ancillary texts images advertising or marketing my product my media text can be expressive and do that by breaking the codes and conventions of media products. My music magazine does make something interesting by taking out another member of the band. Overall the combination when making the digipack I made the main artists the main focus as when audiences go to see this album cover I wanted them to be the main focus as I would be working within this ‘hyper reality’ and creating the context that would be to follow and that would be what audiences would think of when the album and music video would be reminded of the talent of these individuals. These artists used to be in a rap trio and was said to be the next big thing but now theres this transformation of them and there performing this heavy metal music. Thoughts would suggest that this crossover would not become as successful as the first endeavour however these artists perform a song and the ancillary texts are suggesting that these artists are talented and they know all forms of music they can excel at anything layed out in front of them. However the genre and the video may suggest that things are depressing and that the band are going throughout tough times and that they seem depressed though they are teenagers (as boy artists are 17) they experience what most young people experience expanding the younger audience who have a greater control on social media to there idols. 

No comments:

Post a Comment