Sunday 19 April 2015

evaluation question 1

1.In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products? My media text challenges the forms and conventions of real media products in a way that most independent record labels would also produce my work. As my product is not from a mainstream artist, I felt the that my direction had to go towards a similar style towards the making of the product. This would mean going against the conventions of media product if I were to follow the convention of genre of the product. I showed this in my music video as the two artists featured with a performance sequence and also narrative which goes with the genre. I felt that I didn't have the resources to create a narrative, I thought the song would go better with a performance video mixed in with locations which matched with the song. This involving locations like low end streets and abandoned locations with litter or a sense of dull and depression. The reason behind this is that using my best judgement, My decision to make this type of music video came from music videos which spread real world message and use real pictures and footage from either natural disasters or plague epidemics. Normally these videos  are used for charity however this seemed to be a sufficient idea at the time of research and planning. I had already used these similar locations in my previous ancillary texts the year before when making a music magazine. The song I chose was “Middle class rut - busy bein born”. The Narrative in the video featured a child stuck in a guarded prison set to fight other children like animals and slaves in messy areas and the song it self has a grim outlook on life and has a depressant tone which attracts the kind of audience into the genre of black heavy metal (a genre being a feature of post modernism). I at first decided a narrative would fit this song going with an abusive dad shouting at his son, yelling at him and throwing things at him whilst the child is going through teenage life which goes with the audience as this kind of music targets that age group of 13-17 year old teenagers who are going through similar problems, but have a massive impact on social media. If this was a real product for a business and not for coursework then this would be a technique used to increasing fan base via social media and word of mouth, and making more money in the process of sales on the internet living of a fan base who buy the song and post comments on social media about the artists as the video relates to them. This narrative would include cross narrative of the actor playing the teenager suffering with depression and going through life like his dad yelling at him throwing water in his face to wake him up and yelling on things that teenagers of today find stressful and can relate to. Also with shots of him mixing in with normal life like school and seeing friends and playing football though this was chosen to go against the genre as I wanted fans to see different sides to the main protagonist and may cause and argument if being on the internet a big argument can cause people to watch “what all the fuss is about” and end up building a fan base. This however I decided not to take up as I didn't have the right amount of actors for this narrative and I didn't have the style and makeup to make the narrative look realistic so in the end I decided to go in a different direction due to these issues. Instead I went with what I mentioned earlier with the performance mixed with locations mating the genre of the music. This would work as I needed a small number of actors and they had to perform music and and not a narrative. This would also require a reliability on cinematography when taking the different shots of various locations across this lower class end were places look dull and depressing and look dirty not the sort of places you would like to visit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment